I suggest you ...

Update your prices

Hello,

DigitalOcean is good, really good, but there is a little problem. Other VPS Services have much more Storage or even more CPU's for the same price e.g.:

DO: 8GB RAM 4Core 80GB SSD 5TB Trans. 80$
Linode: 8GB RAM 6Core 192GB SSD 8TB Trans. 80$
Vultr: 8GB RAM 4Cote 150GB SSD 5TB Trans. 80$

1,049 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the perspective of a WordPress developer, most WordPress installs need at least 1GB of RAM to function properly, so I think the basic $5 droplet should have a minimum 1GB of RAM. It makes sense to me that it would be the minimum, since that's what the most popular CMS requires to run... if a website/application requires something beefier, of course a premium price would be fair. I think most people love DigitalOcean for their service and features, but double the RAM for the same price from your competitors is really enticing... or from another perspective, paying double in hosting with DO adds up!

Looks like this got merged with the other similar post. Does that mean we will hear something about this soon?

• JanJan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used Linode vps service for 3 years. Their service is rock solid. I moved DO because of their 5$ vps option. I didn't need more ram but I needed cheaper service with similar quality.
        But I will move again, because they provide better specs with similar service quality at the same price. DO should act soon or they will loose customers like me.

• Jos G.Jos G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the tip. With DO down for hours now, I will vote with my feet.

• Alexander YamshanovAlexander Yamshanov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

You can use $5 server with Plesk if you install Linux with a swap. Minimal hardware requirements for Plesk is 512Mb + 1Gb swap (https://docs.plesk.com/release-notes/onyx/hardware-requirements/)

Also, you can look at two How-Tos from DigitalOcean:
        - How To Add Swap Space on CentOS 7: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-centos-7
        - How To Add Swap Space on Ubuntu 16.04: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-space-on-ubuntu-16-04

• Ben YankeBen Yanke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, linode is a different service. DO has lots of extra features and extras around the edges. I'm more than happy to pay extra for the extra side services.

• TKDWTKDW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank for recommend alternative service. I have been looking for new cloud for all of my project since DO fraud me.

Tried to install plesk on a 512MB ram and it corrupted. Also most competitors offer 1GB at starting price. Very happy with the service do not wish to change provider because of something this stupid and straightforward.

• Nkansah RexfordNkansah Rexford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trust me, they don't plan to, at least from how it seems. This has been a long-standing discussion: See here: https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/15164775-make-your-pricing-competitive-with-linode-s

DO is so thick-headed to dance to the market tunes. They're so arrogant and feel invincible. The twist will be so quick they wouldn't have time to process.

• Jason UnderhillJason Underhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was tempted with Linode but unfortunately it doesn't offer half the features and flexibility that DO does. I'll take the slight hit on performance and make my life a lot easier!

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that Linode has just introduced a $5 Linode, which matches DO's $5 offering, except it offers double the RAM. Unless DO beefs up the RAM, my $5 droplets are probably going to become $5 Linodes.

• HimanshuHimanshu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello I just want to use the $5 instance, but recently Linode offers it with 1GB ram, I almost alwasy find myself running out of RAM when I ssh into DigitalOcean.

Would you be willing to upgrade my machine with same spec as Linode for $5 per month?

• Jonathan PaughJonathan Paugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest thing DO saves me is time! It's so much easier to focus on building my app, rather than on building the architecture. That said, for a production app, I'd probably be comparing the pricing of DO to GCE, as much as much as to Linode.

• MurphMurph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Clojure apps, the RAM issue is difficult. Even limiting the JVM's heap allocation and metaspace parameters, a single process minimally requires ~350 MB of memory. I'm reluctantly considering moving to Linode.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base