I suggest you ...

Custom Droplet Resources

An option for a customized droplet. Your pre-definded droplets are fantastic (we can spin them up instantly, on the same hand you can scale efficiently)

BUT

The ability to define custom resources for a droplet would be fantastic...if the price has to be higher that is fine.

281 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    no ideano idea shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex LevitAlex Levit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to measure performance for specific application and in need to try on different CPUs/RAM configurations.

• Raymond ChastainRaymond Chastain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a budget and a service limited by RAM.

I am forced (BEGRUDGINGLY SO) to run that service on Linode, Linode simply has better RAM/$ ratios.

On the $5 droplet it cannot even start, $10 it starts but you must end it to do anything else (i.e. Update to the Graph Beta). I need a bare minimum of 2GB, but my service isn't CPU intensive and will barely rely on storage. At the same time I certainly don't need 16GB from a High Memory Droplet.

A nice 4GB setup would be great, but at $40/mo I cannot afford it with my other droplets.

I can get the RAM I need at Linode for $10-$20 (Half the cost) but the UI makes me want to become an alcoholic.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Launch NEW services for self vps customization Like Custom Ram, Cpu, Hard, Bandwidth totaly self configuration, and with plesk panel or cpanel and server management service. Tour vps is awesome but need these features.

• Nkansah RexfordNkansah Rexford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What do you guys think of the idea of being able to increase RAM capacity independently from CPU, as it stands now on the resize optipns?

I am currently in a similar situation where I don't need more storage or CPU rather more RAM.

This RAM addition could be as little as from maybe 512 MB upwards for perhaps 1$ per month for extra 512 RAM.

See here for related discussion https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/high-memory-droplets-no-create-option-for-the-poor-lone-devs

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree, I don't need much disk space or indeed RAM, but need more cores

Bsdically this would allow users to completely customize a droplet. Users could set the amount of RAM, Drive Space, and CPU they need, and pay for exactly what they need.

• Árni Steingrímur SigurðssonÁrni Steingrímur Sigurðsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 2 sizes that are important to me (that are not represented in the current scheme).

2 vCPU 16G
        8vCPU 2G

I also think it would be fair for us to be able to aggregate bandwidth because you only have 1-2 units pumping out bits.

Diskspace is not strictly important but 20G is a lower-bound for usefulness.

I think what i want fits here: need to try haddop on digital ocean for 2months

i need 8GB but with very little data transfer (initial transfers - 2-3 then minimal one user starting and monitoring jobs)

are there any more flexible plans where we can lowr the data bandwidth, hard drive?
        8GBM RAM
        2 core
        25 gb SSD
        100GB trasfer

Be good if u put this on your road map, will allow evaluators like me some leeway.

• Vatsal ParekhVatsal Parekh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would love if you can give facility to decide the resources that we want,
        current predefined packs are fantastic, but customization can help users more with individual needs

• Hugo G. Hugo G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could then make tutorials for, say, a podcast media server i my blog and redirect viewers to D.O. so they can spin up a droplet with all the setup already done. D.O. wins, I win, my viewers win.

• PabloPablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love the idea!

And to take one step further, you could offer contrasting, intermediate "Expanded Storage" plans that would swap the added cores for additional HD space.

• Chris DemwellChris Demwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks! I had already backed that idea. However, it doesn't address the case where I need twice as much RAM per-CPU than currently offered.

Feedback and Knowledge Base