I suggest you ...

Allow Custom Images

Allow users to upload ISO's of Linux installations they would like to use. For instance, I was hoping to install Slackware 14; if users could upload their own ISOs you wouldn't have to keep adding distros as they wanted them.

5,123 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cora SykesCora Sykes shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: 我希望增加新功能  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow using customer own OS image.  ·   · 
    James StanwayJames Stanway shared a merged idea: Support custom distros my mounting an ISO  ·   · 
    ChetanChetan shared a merged idea: Please add a feature to import or export image into Digital Ocean, So that we can download or upload image to Digital Ocean.  ·   · 
    Pierre DabrunstPierre Dabrunst shared a merged idea: adding so I can install my own OS  ·   · 
    Rusu IulianRusu Iulian shared a merged idea: Droplet creation proces  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: convert a VMDK to a Digital Ocean Droplet  ·   · 
    iskisk shared a merged idea: create droplets with our own images (ISO)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Own Os  ·   · 
    Fabrizio GiammatteoFabrizio Giammatteo shared a merged idea: It would be great to import KVM existing machines as droplets  ·   · 
    Alessandro BaccanelliAlessandro Baccanelli shared a merged idea: upload of vmware disk or vhd...It would be wonderful!!!  ·   · 
    Francesco ManconeFrancesco Mancone shared a merged idea: Allow people to upload custom Virtual Machines with their own application stack.  ·   · 
    AlexAlex shared a merged idea: Provide the ability to create a droplet from a VM.  ·   · 
    Meds DebMeds Deb shared a merged idea: esx / vmware  ·   · 
    Mitchell McMillanMitchell McMillan shared a merged idea: Add mailinabox as a 1-click install  ·   · 
    jmartinsjmartins shared a merged idea: Manjaro Net Editon (Archlinux Image)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Provide more of the popular Linux flavors such as openSUSE OR atleast allow users to create their own images or upload their ISOs  ·   · 
    JordanJordan shared a merged idea: With the deprication of Arch, is it possible to implement a way to upload custom images?  ·   · 
    Demet KayhanDemet Kayhan shared a merged idea: Add Debian 7.4 to the standard OS images list  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Ability to send local image of virtualBox system to digitalocean cloud vps.  ·   · 
    李开元李开元 shared a merged idea: Allow to upload custom virtual disks  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Add asterisknow ISO  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Offer a bigger droplets images portfolio  ·   · 
    Ataliba TeixeiraAtaliba Teixeira shared a merged idea: Slackware Image  ·   · 
    Pascal MathisPascal Mathis shared a merged idea: Support own operating system images  ·   · 
    Raphael BastosRaphael Bastos shared a merged idea: Funtoo Linux  ·   · 
    Thomas FjellstromThomas Fjellstrom shared a merged idea: Ability to upload pre-installed system images  ·   · 
    Mathew KeetonMathew Keeton shared a merged idea: Ability to install your own OS such as windows?  ·   · 
    RazvanRazvan shared a merged idea: Bring gentoo image back  ·   · 
    ramziramzi shared a merged idea: i like to install image from iso  ·   · 

377 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

No idea why this isn't added or address yet. It seems so essential.

• Anonymous commented  · 

我希望在云端,可以使用自己的系统镜像文件来创建自定义虚拟机,或者自定义镜像文件账号之间分享,因为这会让用户们之间使用变得非常的方便,谢谢。

• EricEric commented  · 

Is this still not available? I thought that after a few years, this would have been implemented.

Vultr has it for quite some time now. I'd like to support DO as well so please get this feature implemented.

• Mike ChambersMike Chambers commented  · 

Need to be able to run a Windows VPS! I have my own license. I really like DO for my Linux boxes, and would like to be able to do Windows as well.

• wizechatmgrwizechatmgr commented  · 

+1 on windows and/or custom .ISO upload.

• Anonymous commented  · 

there is no way to upload an ISO image, in this report support only link to comment. I think it is in order to see if you have the option Vultr and therefore makes them better.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This may have been brought up already but it would be extremely useful to allow customers to use their own images. I have my own MS volume licenses and want a bare VM to use my own OS on. also, some of us may wish to host a droplet with our own custom image for development etc.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would really like to be able to put in custom ISO's. Main reason is i would like to be able to spin up a pfsense server. I would settle for being able to spin one up.

• TMTM commented  · 

Was hoping that they can at least manually to this since we would not be asking if its really not necessary. Hmmm I would have to think on removing the newly added droplet now.

• TristanTristan commented  · 

So this is till not a thing. Oh well.

• AnonymishAnonymish commented  · 

I could settle for bootable block storage volumes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Need to host Windows Server

• Michael MarcusMichael Marcus commented  · 

I'm just surprised why something so essential is not provided. Please allow some sort of a method to download and create snapshots, it is very important to be able to use stable images that are stable and production ready. If you already have a snapshot service you offer, it seems like it won't take too much more to be able to add our own to the list, as you already let us create them from the ones that exist.

PLEASE

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

+1 ... I am interested in OpenBSD support. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 - I want to upload QNAP Q'Centre's VMware appliance, since I can't I'm unable to use Digital Ocean and must pursue other alternatives

• Henrik PedersenHenrik Pedersen commented  · 

I don't care if we have to pay for the ISO storage og even the bandwidth, or a small one-time fee or something for uploads. If we could just upload ISO's it would be great.

You are running KVM, so I would use one of my existing licenses I have for an older Windows Server, and run it on freaking 512MB RAM, just to provide TTS for our in-house callsystem, so I can shut down that old Windows server running in the corner.

• MaXwell FalsteinMaXwell Falstein commented  · 

Uploading an image on most people's Internet connections is going to be tough and will result in DO requiring dedicated ISP/IXP links for just the uploads of ISOs.

There would have to be large amounts of caching between DO and the ISP/IXP because many people would be uploading large ISO files at different bandwidths or data rates.

This is all doable, but it is not as easy as one might expect. It will take a decent amount of work from DO and ISP/IXP.

I think support ticket based service would be a little annoying.
        Upload and go in my opinion.

Community run ISO upload system could be interesting with approval by community for opening the ISO to the whole community.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Its a basic data center feature to have a custom ISO on a server. So i would expect such a service over a support ticket.

• Nathan VidicanNathan Vidican commented  · 

Currently a customer with vultr.com - wanted to try DigitalOcean (referred by a friend) - this is such a basic feature for a cloud provider I took it for granted... now I feel like I wasted $10 bothering to sign up at all :(

Come-on ... this is 2016!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base