I suggest you ...

ipv6 addresses

Hi. Do you have a plan on providing ipv6 addresses? They are quite useful and necessary in some circumstances.

1,987 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Wang GuoqinWang Guoqin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Moisey UretskyAdminMoisey Uretsky (Head of Product, DigitalOcean) responded  · 

Today we are excited to announce the availability of IPv6 in our newest region, Singapore. Customers can now enable IPv6 on existing droplets without the need for a reboot or add IPv6 during droplet creation.

We’ve also announced this via our blog:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/company/blog/announcing-ipv6-support-in-singapore/

The blog contains links to a few community articles to help customers get started in using IPv6 and also with a few FAQ items related to IPv6.

The biggest questions that customers may have is when IPv6 will be available in other regions. This process has already begun.

We launched in Singapore first because it runs on our new v1.5 backend code which was completely rewritten from the ground up.

Now that it’s been in production for several months we have begun the process of migrating our existing regions over to the new code. The first region to under go the migration is our SFO1 region.

Also, all new datacenters that are opened will support IPv6 from day one. In regards to Europe we will be launching several new datacenters in the next 1-3 months which will provide IPv6 availability to the European region in that time frame.

We don’t have an ETA on the migrations yet because it is a large process that we have to undergo for an entire datacenter and as we make more progress we will be able to better estimate the work that is involved.

All new creates in the SFO1 region are now running on the v1.5 code so the entire process is already well underway.

Sorry for the many delays in product updates and announcements, it is one of the challenges that we faced as the company began to scale next year. I think that journey that we went through is not unique to us but something that many other startups have faced. We’ve discussed some of the challenges with other founders and they’ve related similar episodes so we will look to put together a blog regarding that so that hopefully it can shed some light for our customers on the process as well as perhaps provide some guidance to other companies and startups as they go through their own challenges and maybe they’ll be able to avoid some of the pitfalls that we encountered.

Thanks,
    Moisey
    Cofounder Digitalocean

154 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew BurnsAndrew Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be more useful if you could manage the rdns of the ipv6 subnets - at the moment, you can just change the rdns of the hostname for both ipv4 and ipv6.

• Scott GrubyScott Gruby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on NYC1; will this data center get IPv6 or will I have to recreate my droplet in another data center? I'm grandfathered into unlimited traffic, so I don't want to lose that by setting up another droplet.

• Craig McQueenCraig McQueen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once customers can request dedicated /64 or /56 subnets, it would also be good if customers can manage the reverse DNS for the subnet.

• Craig McQueenCraig McQueen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a great step. I wouldn't consider it "completed" until customers can request dedicated /64 or /56 blocks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

No, it is production quality, although yes it is only on one DC. Please give them a break.

Hahahaha!!! Closed?? You people are nuts. You consider thios closed when you put it in ONE datacenter and is still in testing phase.

Come on! Get with the real world. This is total BS!!!!!

• Scott MustardScott Mustard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We hope the beta went well over the last 2-3 weeks. Our company is looking to try out DigitalOcean but requires IPv6. Is it now available?

• Jan KrupaJan Krupa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly I don't believe digitalocean's ETAs. In 2012 they promised that custom kernels will be released "soon". I can see similarities here with the IPv6. I'm already testing other providers.

• Florian StrankowskiFlorian Strankowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You cant take part at the beta and you cant get grandfathered nowadays because thats a special award for the first users here.

• DmitryDmitry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested to join 'ipv6 beta test' - but I'm not 'grandfathered' yet.
        Can I?

• md_5md_5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prefix size is mostly irrelevant, a /112 still provides 65K addresses. The minimum registry allocation is a /32 which provides a whopping 4 billion /64 subnets, so there is no reason to only provide a /96 anyway. Linode etc can offer a routed /48 last I checked.

Thomas, it is not as trivial as you think it is. Obtaining IPv6 addresses from ARIN and other RIRs was in fact the easy part for them. They have to make sure that their BGP sessions are setup correctly for IPv6, and are sufficiently stable. This goes for all their other software too.

Most VPS providers will provide at most 5 (or maybe more if you're lucky) IPv6 addresses; RamNode (for example) uses only a /96 for its customers. /64 is really what you would find with dedicated servers, not VPS.

• Thomas FjellstromThomas Fjellstrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wait, no update in ages, and I hear we only get one ipv6 address? that is totally against the ipv6 idea. getting an entire /64 shouldn't be a problem in the slightest. even if its per server. How can it possibly be taking this long? You set up an ipv6 auto config server and hand everyone a fixed range. Then linux auto gets an ipv6 address.

• Rémi RampinRémi Rampin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, is this still going on? Discussions about IPv6 in 2012 were promising, but in 2014 this is a joke. I have obviously moved to another provider since...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base