I suggest you ...

Allow users to disable Gravatar

I like my privacy and I'm sure most of us developers care about it too.

I do not use Gravatar or any avatar for that matter, therefore kindly allow us to disable Gravatar in the settings, and just create an avatar in CSS like Google does, using the initials of the user's name.

Thank you

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    George HavertonGeorge Haverton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ross WilsonRoss Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usually websites that use Gravatar hash the user's email address before making the avatar request. I'm interested in understanding the specific privacy concern with using Gravatar as I'm planning to use it myself on a site.

• George HavertonGeorge Haverton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not use Gravatar or any avatar for that matter, therefore kindly allow us to disable Gravatar in the settings, and just create an avatar in CSS like Google does, using the initials of the user's name.

Thank you

• George HavertonGeorge Haverton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you

• flexicflexic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option to disable your gravar would be ideal. Otherwise you have to change your DO login to some secondary throw-away email with no gravatar set, which is not ideal

• Jos CollinJos Collin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are people, who doesn't want to use gravatar, which displays their photo everywhere they use their email ID. But they want to use their photo in safe places only. So there is no option to upload a photo in your database.

Feedback and Knowledge Base