I suggest you ...

Reverse DNS for Foating IPv4 and IPv6 on DigitalOcean-supplied or Customer's Domains

DigitalOcean owns the IP blocks from which Floating IP addresses are allocated to droplets. It would be a benefit to the customer to automatically assign Reverse DNS records to the Floating IP addresses handed out. Mail Exchange servers, and any secure server are usually required to have Reverse DNS match Forward DNS, for security reasons.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steve SummersSteve Summers shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve SummersSteve Summers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is pretty much a no-brainer, since DO owns the Foating IP blocks. Any company's public-facing MX server, or other public server which requires secure encryption and higher levels of trust, is expected to have a domain name with an IP address that matches forwards and reverse. This is just one of the things needing to be in place to establish trust.

Since DO owns the Floating IP blocks, it would make sense that DO would offer some mechanism, either automatic, or otherwise, to allow for the reverse DNS entries.

If DO charges for Domain Name management, even if the customer had their own DNS handled elsewhere, I would think DO could charge something for handling the reverse DNS services for the domain name pointing to their public IP address.

Feedback and Knowledge Base