DNS subdomain delegation to a different team account/project
Following use case:
1. we have an production environment running an API at api.example.com, only some devops have access and api.example.com is defined in teamproject1
2. we have a staging environment in teamproject2 with more devops having access rights and the domain ist stage.api.example.com.
3. we manage both environments with terraform and ansible including domains.
4. we need a subdomain delegation for *.stage.api.example.com from teamproject1 to teamproject2
What could be done? Allow Subdomain delegation:
1. create NS Records with ns1..3.do.com in teamproject1 for stage.api.example.com
2. create rewquired ressource records in teamproject2 (A, MX , SRV, .....)
Result at this moment:
"This is the error "Data domain or a subdomain is already owned by another user."
Nolan Reisbeck commented
I definitely ran into this last night using nearly exactly the same use case.
To reiterate, I would like to retain control over the domain (example.com) in the top account and delegate control over team1.example.com to the Team-1 space so that they can create any subdomains under team1.example.com.
Similarly, a having qa.example.com and setting up a record for team1.qa.example.com would allow them to create any records in the zone under the record level that is assigned to that team space.
MaXwell Falstein commented
This would be a great feature - I think the DNS functionality needs to be split away from the droplet for paying customers.
I would happy click an option to spin up a dedicated droplet to run as the master DNS module to be able to have all of my teams be able to access the DNS droplet rather than tie it to a droplet.