I suggest you ...

Support HTTP/2 on load balancers

Digital Ocean's new load balancers only support HTTP 1.1. The text protocol and lack of multiplexing in HTTP 1.1 means it's MUCH slower than HTTP/2.

One of the pages on our site loads in 600ms on nginx running HTTP/2, and 1.8s on HTTP 1.1. We'd love to be able to use DO Load Balancrs but the slowdown isn't worth it.

193 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike MacCana shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's possible to have HTTTP/2 by using proxy/web router of your choice if you opt to SSL Passthrough and handle cert in your http2 enabled nginx/fabio/whaver. The only downside I'm aware of is you lose the information about client's IP (X-Forwarded-For header wlll contain IPs of your loadbalancer and droplet only). It's a shame but possible to work around by using Proxy protocol, which I;m not sure is available on DO LB. +1

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this 100%. This is a deal breaker for me that prevents me from using DO's load balancers. I have to roll my own currently.

• Nathan Youngman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTTP/2 on both ends would be great.

Some load balancers do HTTP/2 for clients but pass HTTP/1.1 requests back to the app servers.

• Aaron Hastings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. I came here to suggest this. Please support HTTP/2 for the DO Load Balancers. The benefits of doing so are huge, especially for TLS connections.

Feedback and Knowledge Base