I suggest you ...

Backups Daily instead of Weekly

Automatic weekly backups seem a bit far between, daily backups would be better. Especially for droplets holding data.

307 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JasonJason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy HeathershawAndy Heathershaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A daily snapshot option would be much more beneficial, even though I have Crashplan backing up my critical data. Crashplan can't restore an entire server from nothing (it needs a base OS installed and configured) therefore in a disaster scenario, recovering to the previous daily snapshot would be a good starting point, then I could use Crashplan to bring it up-to-date.

Drawing comparisons to Linode - they charge 25% of the server price for daily backups and keep 4 slots - the previous daily backup, a 2-7 day old backup, and an 8-14 day old backup. The last slot is a manual backup you can do at any time.

DO reportedly keep 4 weekly backups so if they offered a daily service with 4 slots (last 2 successful daily, last successful weekly, last successful monthly), I don't see this could be any more costly than it is now.

• Ben YankeBen Yanke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mihai Moale

I don't disagree that daily backups should be available (for a raised price, obviously), but in critical situations like that, you probably ought to have your own backup scripts running things.

• Mihai MoaleMihai Moale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daily backups are needed as part of a disaster recovery, when data on the droplets is very important.

Feedback and Knowledge Base