I suggest you ...

Backups Daily instead of Weekly

Automatic weekly backups seem a bit far between, daily backups would be better. Especially for droplets holding data.

329 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely agree that at least one backup should be daily, and the rest ones weekly. Similar to Linode's model. That would make much more sense.

It would be even better if you could set the times when the backups are made yourself. Then you could choose how many you'd like to use for daily and weekly backup, and during what hours they're made (and what day, in case of weekly) .

• Andy Heathershaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A daily snapshot option would be much more beneficial, even though I have Crashplan backing up my critical data. Crashplan can't restore an entire server from nothing (it needs a base OS installed and configured) therefore in a disaster scenario, recovering to the previous daily snapshot would be a good starting point, then I could use Crashplan to bring it up-to-date.

Drawing comparisons to Linode - they charge 25% of the server price for daily backups and keep 4 slots - the previous daily backup, a 2-7 day old backup, and an 8-14 day old backup. The last slot is a manual backup you can do at any time.

DO reportedly keep 4 weekly backups so if they offered a daily service with 4 slots (last 2 successful daily, last successful weekly, last successful monthly), I don't see this could be any more costly than it is now.

• Ben Yanke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mihai Moale

I don't disagree that daily backups should be available (for a raised price, obviously), but in critical situations like that, you probably ought to have your own backup scripts running things.

• Mihai Moale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daily backups are needed as part of a disaster recovery, when data on the droplets is very important.

Feedback and Knowledge Base