or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TKDWTKDW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank for recommend alternative service. I have been looking for new cloud for all of my project since DO fraud me.

• Jason UnderhillJason Underhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was tempted with Linode but unfortunately it doesn't offer half the features and flexibility that DO does. I'll take the slight hit on performance and make my life a lot easier!

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that Linode has just introduced a $5 Linode, which matches DO's $5 offering, except it offers double the RAM. Unless DO beefs up the RAM, my $5 droplets are probably going to become $5 Linodes.

• Jonathan PaughJonathan Paugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest thing DO saves me is time! It's so much easier to focus on building my app, rather than on building the architecture. That said, for a production app, I'd probably be comparing the pricing of DO to GCE, as much as much as to Linode.

• MurphMurph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Clojure apps, the RAM issue is difficult. Even limiting the JVM's heap allocation and metaspace parameters, a single process minimally requires ~350 MB of memory. I'm reluctantly considering moving to Linode.

• RetronoodleRetronoodle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think DO gives great support and has a better quality network. So I don't think they need to *match* anyone. The overall value just has to be more, and they need to make sure all current and prospective customers know this.

• FahadFahad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently with Linode, I'll move immediately to DO once their price same as Linode's price

• FredFred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least make this option available to droplets with reasonable usage. Abusers could be left out of this kind of deal.

• Antonios CharitonAntonios Chariton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not that I wouldn't like cheaper prices of course, who wouldn't, but from my experience Digital Ocean's servers and network has been of better quality that Linode's..

• FrankFrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were planning to migrate to DO, but decided to remain with Linode and renewed our subscription for yet another year. DO is not playing competitive as per our assessment.

• MatMat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently we are using seven droplets of 2GB each to form a Docker Swarm cluster. We are also using 2TB (and growing) of block storage. Our droplets are running Docker containers are are quite stateless, so we do not use the backup service and keep the backup of the production images in our private DockerHub registry and replicate data offsite nightly. This costs us about $340 (140 + 200). The local storage that comes with each droplet is only used for local caching.

We are now testing the replication of our service on Linode which would cost us only $70 for the compute nodes with 2GB memory each. Then we can use Amazon EBS for storage which will cost roughly $200. Linode also offers discounts of annual payments. This way we will save about $1,000 yearly.

We liked the interface of DO and it helped us with small $5 nodes initially when we were starting. However, if a company is too slow to respond to the price changes of the competition and does not perform on benchmarks (https://joshtronic.com/2016/12/01/ten-dollar-showdown-linode-vs-digitalocean-vs-lightsail/) as good as the competition then there is very little reason to stay with the company.

We are all set to migrate to Linode in two weeks.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linode has this habit of periodically increasing RAM, storage space, transfer or other features while keeping the price the same, particularly on the company's birthday on June 16. Expect them to continue this, and either be prepared to match it, or expect to start losing business to Linode.

Back in 2014, I just about had work primed to switch from Linode to DO, when Linode had another RAM doubling, introduced hourly billing, and switched to SSDs. That pretty well made Linode's pricing match to DO's, and prevented the switch. Since then, they've introduced a $10 Linode, switched to KVM, and had yet another RAM doubling. I'm unlikely to convince work to switch to DO unless DO starts matching Linode.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base