I suggest you ...

Offer different hardware configurations based on the use case (DB, Storage, Decrypt etc.)

This is a repost of a previous idea (granular, slider-based hardware selection) as suggested by Moisey:

http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/5097062-replacing-all-droplet-types-by-custom-droplets

"..However, we do believe that there are different workloads that require different servers and hardware. For example caching services need a lot of RAM but not much else, DBs need very fast harddrives and CPU, and then there are cases when you just want a bunch of storage and not much else.

This is an area that we are exploring to see if we can begin provisioning different hardware types sometime in 2014 and testing to see if customers like the ability to select a different type of VM with different combinations of underlying specs based on their workload.

If anyone wants to startup a separate uservoice request for that we then upvote from there we can provide regular updates on those projects..."

This would be useful when building out a heterogenous system, and especially in cases (like hardware-accelerated decryption) where it might involve specialized hardware. This would also lay the groundwork for other specialized cases such as HPC (with GPUs) and mining.

I'll start it off with my +3 votes...

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JP BarringerJP Barringer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    AndrewAndrew shared a merged idea: Normal HDD and SSD Droplets  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: 3 new types of droplets: One that boosts Ram, One for CPU and one that boosts Both.  ·   · 
    achillezachillez shared a merged idea: cpu intensive pricing structure?  ·   · 

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew MaizelsAndrew Maizels commented  · 

I can see the difficulties in implementing custom droplet sizes or network storage, but this looks like it would be easy to implement and provide a good solution for most users.

I could deploy a storage droplet for my files, a CPU droplet for my database, and a bunch of regular $10 droplets for my application.

• Anonymous commented  · 

this is an awesome idea. hope its implemented soon

Feedback and Knowledge Base