I suggest you ...

Provide the ability to turn backups on or off after a droplet has been created

Currently if a droplet is created without automatic backups enabled, the option to backup that droplet becomes unavailable. This should be something we can turn on and off at any time.

478 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlexAlex shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Grzegorz DubickiGrzegorz Dubicki commented  · 

I have had a droplet with backups turned on but I turned it off ..and I can't turn it on again. Please at least add the possibility to REenable backups!

• JeffJeff commented  · 

Yes, please add this.

• Colin FosterColin Foster commented  · 

Absolutely, this is core. I've just discovered backups weren't enabled on a business-critical server, snapshotting and recreating this (and hoping IP doesn't change or anything else will go wrong, as a kernel foobar did recently when we tried this) is an unacceptable risk.

• Steve LamotteSteve Lamotte commented  · 

Please make this an option as soon as possible! It's baffling that this isn't possible, and I'm no expert in all virtualization technologies but if VMware has allowed hot snapshots since forever, I'm surprised and disappointed that the hip and modern DO does not.

• DanDan commented  · 

this is a very important feature to have!

• Chris RileyChris Riley commented  · 

I ended up using the snapshot and spin up a new instance with backups enabled back in January. Ideally it would've been better not to do that, but it worked. It would also be nice to be able to have a "manual backup now" button so you do not have to shut down the server to do a snapshot.

• Sean HessSean Hess commented  · 

Very bummed this isn't possible.

• Marco ColliMarco Colli commented  · 

It is an essential feature: I got very disappointed when I discovered that I couldn't enable backups!

• Alex KinneeAlex Kinnee commented  · 

Agreed, it's pretty silly that I would have to do the following and MAYBE my IP will stay the same.

1) create a snapshot of your server

2) delete your server to release the IP

3) immediately after the delete is finished, create a new droplet, choose the same datacenter, and in the "select images" section switch to "my images" and select your snapshot. Then check the "Enable Backups" box.

This server will almost always capture the IP just released.

• Jeremy HaileJeremy Haile commented  · 

I've just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to enable Backups. The documentation shows a Backups tab in the droplet. I can't believe that I can't turn this on for a running droplet!

• DeltaHFDeltaHF commented  · 

This is ridiculous. Only found out about this after I'd already set up my server. AT LEAST give us a warning when we're creating a new droplet that backups CANNOT BE ENABLED LATER! Ugh.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please make it possible to enable backups after droplet creation and after backup disabling.

• Mladen MaravicMladen Maravic commented  · 

I found this question when looking at why I could not enable backups for my droplets. This is so basic it should have been implemented a long long time ago. WTF?

• Babos CsabaBabos Csaba commented  · 

We need to add auto backup enabling after creating an instance.

• Teshoo LamaTeshoo Lama commented  · 

If backups aren't enabled then you won't have a 'Backups' tab on the droplet info page.

• Theron LuhnTheron Luhn commented  · 

Additionally, at the moment you can't even see on the Droplet info page whether or not backups are enabled.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base