I suggest you ...

Droplet Marketplace

Allow users to be able to create and sell (or redistribute) their snapshot into a marketplace where others can deploy from their account. Maybe put an approval system in to prevent abuse but might be a good idea to help create images/droplets that can be deployed preconfigured.

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Darius clarkDarius clark shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    HawaiiHawaii shared a merged idea: Public Images / Stack scripts  ·   · 
    Manthan M.Manthan M. shared a merged idea: Create a Digital Ocean Marketplace  ·   · 

We have a separate request for this, which is labelled as the ability to share images, which is in the planning stages.

Security is one of the largest concerns that we had and for that we are going to working to create public profiles for the community section that customers can opt-in to and verify further with their twitter and/or github accounts.

That will create more transparency around who the author of a particular image is.

Since this is labelled as marketplace we didn’t want to mistakenly merge that, is all that is requested a place to share images, or some sort of actually marketplace (exchange of funds) also requested?

Thanks!

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manthan M.Manthan M. commented  · 

@Moisey I think that everything should be free. After all, this is a community.

• AaronAaron commented  · 

While something like this would be a cool idea, there are HUGE security risks involved with installing someone else's clone not knowing whats on it.

I could build a Node/MongoDB stack for you to use, but before I compiled MongoDB I could add some code that sent me a copy of your database every day and no one would ever know it was there.

A system that could work would be like Linode's StackScripts, which are scripts that just run through installations of some software.

• Nick CollinsNick Collins commented  · 

@Filip, that's great, but we can't use them on Digital Ocean, and your servers cost 4x as much.

Feedback and Knowledge Base