I suggest you ...

GEO DNS Service (visitor goes to the geographically closest droplet)

GEO DNS + Multiple droplets.. is more than AWESOME setup..!!

I'd love to see this service soon in DO, where you can create several droplets in several data centers and point your DNS zones toward these droplet.

Visitors from NY for example get served by NY Droplet(s), Visitors from AMS get served by AMS Droplet(s).

This way, you can build your own CDN within few moments, and get your websites performance-extra-charged.

Your Votes, comments ?!

448 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Has. S.Has. S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Samuel HulleySamuel Hulley commented  · 

An automatic way to provide this would be fantastic, but it is entirely possible (at a slightly higher cost) to do this with DO on your own. If it was something I needed at the current stage (what I need and can afford) then I would go about by:

Having my own name servers for my domains hosted in DO that delegate to a regional name server(s) using bind views (with long TTLs) which then provide regional information. This should keep DNS requests decently fast in each region provided except for the odd name server expiry.

Doubt that it is a 100% solution but would work decently well, might have a go one day and see how well it works.

• ClouClou commented  · 

This would be very nice +3

• Amarnath SAmarnath S commented  · 

Superb Idea for this idea. Its useful to us. Actually I was came to add this idea in this forum. But already have. Kindly arrange ASAP. Thanks in Advance.

• Daniyaal KhanDaniyaal Khan commented  · 

You can easily do this by using the IP_GEOLOCATION feature with google I/O

• KrisKris commented  · 

Kris from NSONE here: we love DO, know them well, and can confidently say NSONE + DO is a great GSLB/Geo solution -- it is pretty straightforward to build, say, a small CDN with DO droplets and NSONE DNS. As Larry said, we don't feature lock in our free tier and we're doing global DNS for major enterprises -- you'll be satisfied. And we're happy to help you get things configured, just ping our support staff.

• Muhammed ParlakciMuhammed Parlakci commented  · 

You can build your own nameserver droplet and configure geoip he ;)

• VincentVincent commented  · 

@Has dnsmadeeasy, they offer geodns but it's costs $660 per domain per year.

• Has. S.Has. S. commented  · 

Vincent, it would be nice to enlighten us.. what's DME?

Kind Regards..

Great idea but complex and has to be done right... The dns service would have to be bullet proof (ddos), stable and fast. I'll stay with DME for now (answers most dns queries for users in 10-50ms) but if DO offers GEO dns i'll give it a try.

Great idea but complex and has to be done right... The dns service would have to be bullet proof (ddos), stable and fast. I'll stay with DME for now (answers most dns queries for users in 10-50ms) but if DO offers GEO dns i'll give it a try.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Best idea and will be a great alternative for Amazon Route 53 :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base