I suggest you ...

Direct droplet transfer between customers

Transferring droplets via snapshots ( http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digital-ocean/suggestions/4074426-transfer-droplets-between-users- ) is often a crapshoot due to capacity issues.

Would be nicer to be able to transfer ownership of a running droplet directly!

271 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LukeLuke shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Jeff ReifmanJeff Reifman shared a merged idea: Make it simple to duplicate a snapshot image  ·   · 
    Jeff ReifmanJeff Reifman shared a merged idea: Allow cloning of image to another user account without support ticket  ·   · 
    RonaldRonald shared a merged idea: Move a droplet of an acount to another.  ·   · 
    started  ·  Moisey UretskyAdminMoisey Uretsky (Head of Product, Digital Ocean) responded  · 

We’ve started working on this feature to allow customers to transfer snapshots between accounts with no interactions from the support team.

We will be launching this feature next week and announcing it on the blog and via twitter.

Thanks!

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Agree, it's a key feature as an agency for great happy customers !

• DaveDave commented  · 

Because the IP address is lost, transferring snapshots requires deployment and DNS record reconfiguration, redundant acceptance testing, delays while DNS records propagate, and confusion while caches clear.

As an agency, it would be nice to say, "Hey customer, it's done, it's yours now, you own it."

Since I became a customer of DigitOcean last year, my *only* complaint is that this isn't possible. Otherwise, it's been an excellent experience guys!

• Olga RyzhikovaOlga Ryzhikova commented  · 

Would love to have this (i.e. copying my test servers configuration directly to my customer account - would save me so much time!)

• donnachadonnacha commented  · 

Yes, adding the referral system would make DigitalOcean usage explode more dramatically that anything else you could do.

• LukeLuke commented  · 

Oh, and adding the referral system to that would be the bestest thing ever.

• Junior GrossiJunior Grossi commented  · 

That will be great! I have my personal account and enterprise account. I had to move a personal to my enterprise account but it was not possible...

• Kroeze JordyKroeze Jordy commented  · 

Was looking for this, making ticket soon.

Does it really move the snapshot, so i dont have it anymore but my friend does, or is it making a copy for my friend?

• VinsVins commented  · 

"The easiest way to do this is to instead take a snapshot of the droplet and then we can move that snapshot to another users account and they can create a new virtual server from that snapshot then.

After you have created that snapshot just open a ticket and let us know to what user you would like to transfer it and we'll take care of it."

I'm gonna try this. Thanks a lot.

• VinsVins commented  · 

i need this so i can "transfer" what i've built to my customer-friend who is techno-challenged but would like transparency in payments. :-)

• Moisey UretskyAdminMoisey Uretsky (Head of Product, Digital Ocean) commented  · 

Hi,

Unfortunately moving a live droplet is not possible because of backend consistency checks.

The easiest way to do this is to instead take a snapshot of the droplet and then we can move that snapshot to another users account and they can create a new virtual server from that snapshot then.

After you have created that snapshot just open a ticket and let us know to what user you would like to transfer it and we'll take care of it.

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base