I suggest you ...

downgrade option, not just upgrade

We should have the possibility to also downgrade droplets, not just upgrade. Sometimes we need a lot of power for some operations, but then we don't for some time, or maybe not at all anymore, so it would be nice to be able to downgrade a droplet, not just to upgrade it.
The current solution is to create a new one with a smaller plan, but this means configuring, installing and doing all that stuff which takes time and is not portable.

2,268 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MirceaMircea shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    BashkimBashkim shared a merged idea: Make it possible to downgrade a droplet using it's image.  ·   · 
    Волошин РусланВолошин Руслан shared a merged idea: Decrease memory on my droplet  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The ability to downscale droplets using snapshots  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Downscale droplet instances  ·   · 
    AceAce shared a merged idea: Scale up and down resources  ·   · 
    OliverOliver shared a merged idea: Easier down-sizing of droplet  ·   · 

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ayush AgrawalAyush Agrawal commented  · 

This feature should definitely be there, otherwise it completely beats the cloud elasticity purpose.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This would be convenient, however if I am correct I do believe that shrinking the disk space may result in data loss as it doesn't know what can be removed (empty space) and is not always able to just cut off the end of it since the data may be in mixed locations (ex. having free space in between the data). I'm not a professional so don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works with SSDs. I guess the best thing would be to backup all of your work and try to keep track of what's installed on it. Another option would be to setup your work on the smallest plan they have, back it up, then upgrade to what you need. That way if you ever downgrade and lose data, you can restore it then re-upgrade to what you need.

In the long run it would be worth it, but projects I've done I haven't needed to worry too much since I'm mostly just installing a few pieces of software to run on the server and have all my scripts in sync with my computer/home server.

• Chris JonesChris Jones commented  · 

Lack of this has me considering moving my 6+ full-time servers elsewhere.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 on this too. I need this bad!

• Charles SteelCharles Steel commented  · 

For anyone who saw the comment about using the API to downgrade, you can't use it to downgrade to a smaller disk size. If you try, you get this:

"Size can not be smaller than the Droplet's original size".

+1 for this functionality, please guys!

• Nick PapaNick Papa commented  · 

Pretty much any other provider can allow you to downgrade an instance, pretty disappointing Digital Ocean doesn't support it as it's almost an essential feature.

• Rafael Specht da SilvaRafael Specht da Silva commented  · 

+1, very important! I work for a blog that did an upgrade on World Cup period. Now we don't need all the memory/processor!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I really need to add more storage, or upgrade then downgrada, during upgrade Storage is not increased, you have to restore from snapshot ..etc.

I am going to not to use DigitalOcean as my provider anymore!!!!

• MichelMichel commented  · 

+3, very important! should not have to do this with snapshots, can take some time and not sure if the IP is kept.

• Charles SametCharles Samet commented  · 

+3 for this as well... I have a droplet configured for 40GB of disk space, but I'm only using about 10GB. I shut the droplet down, created a snapshot, deleted the original, and then tried to restore from snapshot to a droplet of 20GB in size (which is more than enough). I couldn't... gave me an error that droplets could not be sized to a smaller disk. So now I need to delete and start all over?

• s r ks r k commented  · 

+3 for this.

• MJ WatkinsMJ Watkins commented  · 

This really needs to be an option--I'm severely overpaying for space and bandwidth I'm not even coming close to fully taking advantage of. I really don't want to cancel, but if downgrading is such a hassle, then I might as well switch to a better hosting company with more flexibility.

• Zsolt BakóZsolt Bakó commented  · 

A few days ago I successfully upgraded and then downgraded a droplet. Disk usage was around 8 GB, I started with a 512MB droplet, upgraded for a few minutes for testing purposes to 16GB plan and then easily downgraded it back to a 512 MB droplet. I did it on the Amsterdam 2 datacenter. I don't really see what is the problem in your cases. Do you use to much disk space maybe?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base