I suggest you ...

downgrade option, not just upgrade

We should have the possibility to also downgrade droplets, not just upgrade. Sometimes we need a lot of power for some operations, but then we don't for some time, or maybe not at all anymore, so it would be nice to be able to downgrade a droplet, not just to upgrade it.
The current solution is to create a new one with a smaller plan, but this means configuring, installing and doing all that stuff which takes time and is not portable.

2,154 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MirceaMircea shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    BashkimBashkim shared a merged idea: Make it possible to downgrade a droplet using it's image.  ·   · 
    Волошин РусланВолошин Руслан shared a merged idea: Decrease memory on my droplet  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The ability to downscale droplets using snapshots  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Downscale droplet instances  ·   · 
    AceAce shared a merged idea: Scale up and down resources  ·   · 
    OliverOliver shared a merged idea: Easier down-sizing of droplet  ·   · 

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick PapaNick Papa commented  · 

Pretty much any other provider can allow you to downgrade an instance, pretty disappointing Digital Ocean doesn't support it as it's almost an essential feature.

• Rafael Specht da SilvaRafael Specht da Silva commented  · 

+1, very important! I work for a blog that did an upgrade on World Cup period. Now we don't need all the memory/processor!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I really need to add more storage, or upgrade then downgrada, during upgrade Storage is not increased, you have to restore from snapshot ..etc.

I am going to not to use DigitalOcean as my provider anymore!!!!

• MichelMichel commented  · 

+3, very important! should not have to do this with snapshots, can take some time and not sure if the IP is kept.

• Charles SametCharles Samet commented  · 

+3 for this as well... I have a droplet configured for 40GB of disk space, but I'm only using about 10GB. I shut the droplet down, created a snapshot, deleted the original, and then tried to restore from snapshot to a droplet of 20GB in size (which is more than enough). I couldn't... gave me an error that droplets could not be sized to a smaller disk. So now I need to delete and start all over?

• s r ks r k commented  · 

+3 for this.

• MJ WatkinsMJ Watkins commented  · 

This really needs to be an option--I'm severely overpaying for space and bandwidth I'm not even coming close to fully taking advantage of. I really don't want to cancel, but if downgrading is such a hassle, then I might as well switch to a better hosting company with more flexibility.

• Zsolt BakóZsolt Bakó commented  · 

A few days ago I successfully upgraded and then downgraded a droplet. Disk usage was around 8 GB, I started with a 512MB droplet, upgraded for a few minutes for testing purposes to 16GB plan and then easily downgraded it back to a 512 MB droplet. I did it on the Amsterdam 2 datacenter. I don't really see what is the problem in your cases. Do you use to much disk space maybe?

• Anonymous commented  · 

i gave 3 votes to this. This is so important.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Guys, this is a must. Especially since you removed the ability to restore a snapshot to a smaller droplet. Please implement a downgrade option.

• Zachary DuBoisZachary DuBois commented  · 

@Norton, correct. I notified them of this. I hope they are going to implement this very soon.

• NortonNorton commented  · 

Unfortunately, create droplet from snapshot doesn't allow you to create a "downgrade" plan, due to the different in disk size. It said something like "can't create 10 GB HDD from 20 GB HDD droplet".

• Zachary DuBoisZachary DuBois commented  · 

Support said this is not possible due to possible data corruption. They should find a way... 1,600 votes says this should be re-added.

• littleguylittleguy commented  · 

I just downsized a droplet in the AMS2 datacenter. (From 2GB to 512MB). Can anyone else confirm this works?!!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base