I suggest you ...

More powerfull cpu

In my case is more significant the power of a single CPU core than the total number of CPU. (In my current dedicated server I have disabled the hipertheading)

I'm testing you're server in order to transfer a performance critical application I have in a dedicated server. My current bottle neck is on disk io so I thought that your ssd based service will solve my performance issues but:

Although the SSD increases the respond time of the first run of a query, all subsequent queries are CPU bounded and are significant slower than my current non-SSD dedicated server.

829 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tktk shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    TakeTake shared a merged idea: Double CPU like Linode  ·   · 
    Teshoo LamaTeshoo Lama shared a merged idea: Implement fairer distribution of CPU cores through your price plans  ·   · 
    VevishVevish shared a merged idea: offer additional CPUs for maybe a Dollar more a month on the plans.. after all these are virutual CPUs  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: More cores and/or more memory without extra disk space.  ·   · 
    hustcerhustcer shared a merged idea: Double the cores for every plan  ·   · 
    ShawnShawn shared a merged idea: Add low spec instances with high CPU count.  ·   · 
    DragiDragi shared a merged idea: Increase CPU Cores in Droplets  ·   · 
    xavierxavier shared a merged idea: Better cpus for 512mb plan or Provide swaps  ·   · 
    José Tomás AlbornozJosé Tomás Albornoz shared a merged idea: Lower-end plans with more CPU cores  ·   · 

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mikhail KolesnikMikhail Kolesnik commented  · 

Is there any proof that DO's single core is much slower than Linode's 8 on some popular web stack? UnixBench actually gave me the impression that DO is overall faster despite of the number of cores. At the end it does not matter much if you have one or 32 cores if that single CPU is really fast.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It's a good idea to increase CPU ...I didn't use Linode, but, even so, I would want DO to do it.

• Zachary DuBoisZachary DuBois commented  · 

Haydrion, completely false. I payed +$300/m on Linode for 7 VPSs. They were slow as hell. I now have much more resources and speed on DigitalOcean than linode and almost a third of the price. Not to meantion that they are much faster with the SSD and the CPU DigitalOcean does.

• HaydrionHaydrion commented  · 

It is also annoying that people are like to do the Linode vs Digital Ocean topics, digi is new, Linode is here for years. They are leading and that will always be how much Digital Ocean is trying to do, they will never get the level of Linode

• HaydrionHaydrion commented  · 

Linode is just better than Digital Ocean ! End of Story ! Why you pay more by Linode is because on Linode you have more freedom than by Digital Ocean. $5 for a VPS .. serious .. don't expect amazing things or even better things that you have by Linode

• Evandro CamargoEvandro Camargo commented  · 

Well, maybe they could keep the current plans (for those of us who actually fit into it.) and make the "custom" plans at fair prices (not only fair to customers but to their infrastructure too.).

That way we have what we want and they get what they need to not overwhelm the structure and still provide everyone with a reliable level of service.

• Zachary DuBoisZachary DuBois commented  · 

Problem is, Linode is prioritized CPU not the awesome DigitalOcean CPU. No +1 from me :/

• Bob MonteverdeBob Monteverde commented  · 

I would assume this would be tricky to implement. It would be much harder to divide of server resources. Would like to hear from someone at DO about this, I'm sure they have put quite some thought into it. From a user perspective it would be ideal to choose RAM, HD Storage, Cores, and Bandwidth independently.... but again, probably a very hard thing to do from their perspective.

• Bob MonteverdeBob Monteverde commented  · 

While this would be amazing, it may not be practical at the current cost. On the other hand, I find it very useful to have at least 2 [v]CPUs per a droplet. Having to pay for a $20 a month droplet, when I don't need the extra RAM is a little steep.

I would be more than happy if you just gave the 1 GB plan 2 cores. It makes sense to keep the 512mb plan 1 core.

I suppose there is still an issue with the larger plans having few cores, but my vote still is to just boost the 1gb plan to 2 cores.

• Teshoo LamaTeshoo Lama commented  · 

The way CPU cores scale through your price plans penalises your bigger customers. At things stand, Bitcoin miners pay $5 per core, while on the 8GB plan we're paying $20 per core. I understand you're primarily competing on RAM, but charging 4x more per core is just extreme.

• Rodrigo SandovalRodrigo Sandoval commented  · 

I really want to move to DO, but at this point is useless with the current configurations, I understand the whole thing about pricing and everything else, but being able to create your own droplet with custom resources sounds better than being forced to have 160Gb of HDD when you don't need it, or 16Gb of RAM, when I only need 8 cores and 2Gb of RAM

• Anonymous commented  · 

I think increasing ram would be better from 512 to 728 or something.

• VincentVincent commented  · 

From what I see on Linode, you are on a server with cpu with 8 physical core but you have access to 1 virtual core like Digital Ocean.

• JeffreyJeffrey commented  · 

Linode is more expensive, so don't expect DigitalOcean to double the amount of cores without charging you more. It doesn't just work like that.

• Simon WestSimon West commented  · 

Linode also seems to be considerably more expensive than Digital Ocean.

• SjorsSjors commented  · 

This is why I want to host another application at Linode. The SSD/HDD comparison doesn't matter since I'll be caching files heavily anyway.

• Moisey UretskyAdminMoisey Uretsky (Head of Product, DigitalOcean) commented  · 

@sharath win:

Thanks for the feedback, however the situation is a bit more complex. When it comes to a cloud or a VPS provider there is no "apples" to "apples" comparison of CPU possible. This is because unlike RAM which is strictly segregated, CPU and disk IO are not strictly segregated but shared.

This means that it is impossible to really accurately predict how that utilization will playout in a production environment with mixed workloads from different customers on the same hypervisor.

Our plans for RAM do scale linearly because this is the resource that we have absolute control over, we also scale our HDD space linearly for the same reason, except the smallest plan starts with a bit more HDD space as a bonus because if we scaled linearly there it would come with 10GB to start and we felt that was a bit on the small side so we bumped it up.

When it comes to CPU it is important to not forget that in cloud environments or VPS it is not always the CPU that gets taxed, but instead the bottleneck becomes the disks. This is because if you review your CPU usage and your applications you will see that often times your CPU usage is also tied to reading/writing from the disk. As a result when disk IO runs out your CPU usage spikes. This is because an application is "waiting" on the disk to either finish a write or a read before it can process the next instruction, as a result your CPU usage begins to increase even though there is actually more CPU available.

This is why we went with an all SSD cloud because we know that more often than not most customers workloads will tie up the disk before they tie up the CPU. So while we may provide fewer cores by having faster disks underlying the infrastructure you get more CPU. This is because even disk IO isn't completely saturated all of your read and write requests are finishing faster as well so the CPU can move on to the next instruction.

That is why the best way to really compare two hosts is to run a production environment on each and compare the price to performance. Running benchmarks is helpful but unfortunately with benchmarks they aren't really mimicking a real production workload because they usually just like to hammer things in a very predictable manner, where as a production setup has much more randomness built into it.

The way that we have setup our infrastructure is to allow for bursts in CPU to be processed faster again with the idea that if there are also SSD drives that will have a larger workload clear through faster and then cause less overall contention. So while you may get less "cores" you get more of the core for processing.

The last item to consider is your actual application. Depending on your stack or application it may not be very multi-threaded, so even if you have 8 cores you end up really utilizing only one.

Ultimately I would recommend setting up a second app, web, db, or whatever server and running it in production on another provider, whether it be us or someone else, and then compare the CPU utilization and ms response times against price.

Think of it like this, you can have two cars that have 500hp, but why does each one accelerate 0-60mph differently? That's because many factors come into play such as aerodynamic drag, gear ratios, powerloss through the drivetrain, grip, rolling resistance, etc.

It's the same here, because there is no specific CPU unit, unlike RAM where 1GB = 1GB, this means that a direct comparison isn't possible.

• LukaLuka commented  · 

@Sharath Win: Agree to the letter...

• Sharath WinSharath Win commented  · 

I just did a basic comparison of the resources offered for every price point in DigitalOcean vs Linode.

Linode resources & prices are more predictable for every price point. Everything (RAM, 8 CPUs Priority, Disk, Bandwidth) Doubles for every price point and very easy to understand and plan on the capacity for resources.

Digital Ocean prices are definitely low cost when RAM alone is considered for the comparison. However the Disk, CPUs and the Bandwidth offered is no way in comparison to what Linode offers and its difficult to understand how that resources are set for each plan.

Please add CPUs also for the comparison to help understand the price | resource comparison
        https://www.digitalocean.com/price-comparison-chart

It would be great if DO can offer better resources or alternate way of getting the resources such as CPUs, SSDs and Bandwidth.

Just do a simple analysis for $80 plan, the resources offered are:
        8GB Memory
        4 Cores
        80GB SSD Disk
        5TB Transfer

For same $80 DigitalOcean gives out more resources on Entry level plans ... Not sure why DO doesn't realize this and why it penalizes the users who shows interest in bigger plans!

If we take $5 droplets (512MB Memory, 1 Core, 20GB SSD Disk, 1TB Transfer) - for $80 16 droplets can be purchased, with the total resources across all droplets:
        8GB Memory
        16 Cores
        320GB SSD Disk
        16TB Transfer
        possibly on different physical hardwares - even super!

When the above is possible, why can't DigitalOcean offer the similar the resources Doubling for every price point? It will be the same cost for DO and its more predictable for the customers!

If you offer low cost plans with more resources, why penalize the users when they opt for bigger plans? I think it should be discounted when we go for bigger plans than penalizing on hardware resources.

Are you encouraging all your users to be on $5 plans?? This will waste lots of computing resources to have Linux run for every single instance - too much of unwanted CPU, RAM, Disk wastage for each Droplet. "LETS GO GREEN" and save the computing resources by encouraging the users to go for bigger plans with better prices|resources.

Hope you guys do some thinking and apply some logic to your pricing and plans and resources - that will make people go for bigger plans than fiddle with all these smaller plans!

Thanks

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base